Saturday, July 16, 2011

DIY: Dollar Tree Pedestals

I've passed these decorative pieces at the Dollar Tree several times, thought they were nice, but they just didn't seem complete or big enough to do anything with.




After seeing several larger versions at Hobby Lobby recently, I had a light bulb moment when going through the store this past week. I picked up some of these vases with the intentions of attaching them to use as a base.


When I tested that idea, I was still a bit concerned about them being top heavy, so I made a trip to Home Depot and found these wood squares, that are normally used for door trimming.


After a little research in the glue aisle, I decided to use this clear epoxy to attach all 3 pieces. I've decided finding the "right" glue is harder then you think. There are 1001 different kinds of glue at Home Depot.


After gluing all three pieces together, I ended up with these. They look better, but still have a bit of work to go to make them FABULOUS.


I then painted them with primer and my color of choice. Once they were completely dry, I applied a dark metallic glaze and quickly wiped it off, leaving the detailed areas darker. This is what my final project looks like.


I also made this white one, with a gold paint overlay, but to be honest it just wasn't what I wanted. So it's since been repainted a solid white and I plan on working on it again tomorrow. But here it is as it was before I repainted it.


I've got a few other Dollar Tree projects underway, so I'll have some others in the near future.

14 comments:

  1. They look great! That was pretty smart to think to put all of that together! I am impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These turned out beautiful! I agree, I never would have thought of gluing those pieces together. Pretty creative!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look great! What a clever idea! I am visiting from Sumo's Sweet Stuff and I am a new follower!!! I hope you have a great week and that I see you around soon!!
    Michelle
    www.delicateconstruction.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool! Those remind me of some more expensive bottles I've seen at Hobby Lobby. Nice color too. :) Visiting from Home Stories A to Z. Hope you'll stop by my blog too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing!!! What an eye to find these items and put them together, making something beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look awesome! I love making things from the Dollar store. Love the color!

    ReplyDelete
  7. holy cow! I LOVE THESE!! these are adorible!
    I'm your newest follower :)
    http://itsacowgirlthing.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are so cool!!! You would never know what they were made of after they've been painted. I love the blue color! So clever!

    ReplyDelete
  9. They do look great. Thanks for sharing. I love them!

    Enjoy the rest of your week!
    LaVonne @ Long Wait For Isabella

    ReplyDelete
  10. O.M.and G!!!!! You win the creativity of the year award! I never in a gazillion years would have thought of that.
    Fabulous job. I'm here from Kim's party and I'm a new follower. Hope you stop by for a visit sometime!
    xoxo,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those are amazing! I have a blog that features many items from Dollar Tree. Would you be willing to let me feature this amazing project? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great idea! I never can think of like that! Thanks for sharing! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are great! How creative!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Visiting from Silly Little Sparrow. WOW those are AMAZING! Great Job :)

    ReplyDelete