Monday, July 18, 2011

Christmas in July: Day 18 Gift Bag Art!

Yes, my name is Michelle and I have a paper addiction. Sometimes this extends to other things like gift bags. When I was at the Dollar Tree last week, I passed the gift bags and this Red Flower was very striking and caught my attention. 

It immediately made me think of a Christmas Flower and I knew I wanted the bag. As I stood there, I found another bag and then it hit me. Why not use these pieces to make a piece of DIY art work. 
I mean, you can't beat it for a buck! 


So I started with a piece of pressed board, that I spray painted Glossy Black. 


I cut this gift bag to fit to size.

Once the paint was dry, I used Modge Podge to attach a red piece of paper, also cut to size. I let that layer dry and then I attached the flower piece directly on top of that. After a few layers of Modge Podge on top and plenty of drying time, I was able to add the ribbon to hang the piece. Overall, I'm really happy with it. 


I also mentioned a second bag. I simply cut down that bag and added it to a Thrift Store frame. $2.99 for the frame, 1.00 for the bag and I have a perfect piece to put in my living area downstairs. 




So next time you see a bag that catches your eye, 
don't just buy it to give away...Hang it on your Wall!  

6 comments:

  1. That's a great idea! (Hey blogger is working FINALLY! :) )

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a fabulous idea! I have often seen such gorgeous bags in the Dollar Tree; sometimes I hate to give them away. I will be looking at them with a different eye from here on out.

    Oh, and I love your idea of doing Christmas in July on your blog. I may try doing this on my Christmas blog next year .. too late now, even if I had time. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys! And Mrs. T blogging for CIJ is fun. Normally I do a daily post, but I've been having so much fun with these other projects, I've been having to split my time. And the Dollar Tree has a great supply of bags. I'm looking forward to doing some of these pieces during Christmas time with more Christmasy scenes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a super idea Michelle! and the pictures look great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love these and pretty classy as well !

    ReplyDelete