Thursday, January 5, 2012

A New Year Ahead!!

As much as I hate to see December and Christmas go, I do love the new clean slate that the New Year brings. I don't know that I have an actual Resolution, but I do take the time to sit down and evaluate things in my life. Taking the time to write down my concerns, my goals, my wish list and my To-Do list are absolutely necessary. I strive to do these things all year long, however come November and December they seem to be put aside and life goes into survival mode.

I also try and pick a WORD of the year to focus on. In the past years I've chosen "ME" and "Resolve". This year, I haven't come across or been able to think of the perfect word yet. It's more like, I'm still focusing on what exactly I want my year ahead to look like. 

In the mean time, I always refer back to Benjamin Franklin and his Governing Values. In his 20's after struggling with both family, failing in business and becoming a single parent,  he sat down to write a list of values and virtues he would focus on daily. It amazes me, how this list is still so pertinent today.  Since discovering this list, I still find it very ironic how it mimics my moral and religious choices.

I do suggest you take the time to evaluate these areas in your life.  Even taking the time, to mentally note which you will work on during a weeks time, will make a difference and make you just a wee bit more aware of what's going on around you and with your choices.


Temperance: Eat not to dullness; drink not to elevation.

Silence: Speak not but what may benefit others or yourself; avoid trifling conversation. 

Order: Let all your things have their places; let each part of your business have its time. 

Resolution: Resolve to perform what you ought; perform without fail what you resolve. 

Frugality: Make no expense but to do good to others or yourself; i.e., waste nothing.

Industry: Lose no time; be always employed in something useful; cut off all unnecessary actions. 

Sincerity: Use no hurtful deceit; think innocently and justly, and, if you speak, speak accordingly.

Justice: Wrong none by doing injuries, or omitting the benefits that are your duty. 

Moderation: Avoid extremes; forbear resenting injuries so much as you think they deserve.

Cleanliness: Tolerate no uncleanliness in body, clothes, or habitation. 

Tranquility: Be not disturbed at trifles, or at accidents common or unavoidable. 

Chastity: Rarely use venery but for health or offspring, never to dullness, weakness, or the injury of your own or another's peace or reputation.

Humility: Emulate Christ and Socrates in all things.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment