Thursday, November 24, 2011

A Very Nemnich Thanksgiving!



When I married into the Nemnich family I tried to host a dinner, but space is pretty limited in my house. Some years we go to my Brother and Sister In Laws house, but my Father In Law has gotten to the point where he can only be transported in and out of Mom and Dad's house. This year we had the majority of the family home for Thanksgiving, however the patriarch of the family is current in the hospital in ICU. We all had a good time, but he was missed and everyone was a bit nervous because the last few days have been a little rocky for him. My brother in law Randy had a heart attack last week, so he was a little under the weather today, but he was there and we're thankful for that as well. He normally carves the turkey, but it was handed down to another "man" in the family. My bestie Byron was to join us this year as well, but he was at home sick too. Needless to say, it was one of those years that proves life continues on...regardless of the holidays. Good and bad, life prevails and you do your best to stop and remind yourself exactly why you are thankful for what you DO HAVE. 

I think I've reached a point, where I enjoy having the family in the kitchen sharing the wealth our our feast. I tend to be a little OCD at times..no big surprise to some...so changing things up each year can be a bit "challenging" for me. My Sister in Law Jodi, is completely opposite of me and I love it! I love the sweet potato casserole and cranberry sauce Jodi made this year. I love the pecan salad Ann makes every year and all the desserts and dishes from everyone else were amazing as well. It's always a feast of the best, homemade food ever.  The Nemnich family isn't picture perfect, but I'm thankful they've allowed me into their family with open arms. 

Before I get started with photos, let me apologize for the quality. I left the big camera at home and for some reason, the smaller camera made everything look orange. As we say in the scrapbooking world, it's better to have some photos, then NO photos!




My Brother In Law Doug is the PIE MASTER in the family. His mom taught him some great pie making skills and he makes those babies from the crust up. We get fancy frosting, toasted coconut, homemade pumpkin and even little mini chocolate chips on the chocolate cream pie. Ciara said the coconut pie was the best coconut pie she's had. I'm not a big fan of cream pies, so I passed and stuck with the traditional pumpkin pie.
 



Then there are the kids. My nieces and nephews are growing up so fast. The boys are giants now. We realized tonight that McKay is just an inch or so shy of being as tall as Chris. 


Taylor's turning into a regular stud with his "Marine" cut and blue eyes.


My other nephew was off in video game land on the I-Pad so I failed to get a picture of him, other then in the far distance.

Landon was running around the house with bells tonight singing Jingle Bells. His little brother Landon, was not far behind. He had the cutest hiking boots on! 


Dustin is Uncle Doug's brother and he's here for a few weeks. His spirit is endless and it made me smile when he remembered my dad tonight.

Becky and Jason, the newlywed of the family stopped by for a quick visit as well. Here Camryn is giving Becky a bracelet she made for her today. 

Speaking of my niece Camryn. She's turning into a beautiful Young Lady. She even had on her little high heels today. I teased Ciara because Camryn has bigger heals then she has, but I kindly remind her that Camryn doesn't sprain or break her ankle 2 or 3 times a year. LOL 

Todd left early this morning from Utah and made it into town, just in time for dinner. He might be the wanderer of the family, but no matter where he is, he always makes it home for the holidays.


I'm thankful for our children and their silliness. Trying to get a family photo from this kid was fun!



And my daughter is the family clown!


Last, but not least, I'm thankful for my amazing husband. This man has opened our home and been so supportive, as I've cared and helped all the special people in my life. I couldn't ask for a more patient husband.

No comments:

Post a Comment