Saturday, October 5, 2013

Banana-Zucchini Bread




When I pulled my zucchini from the freezer to make some bread, I was also thinking about the ripe bananas I had sitting on the counter. I didn't want to waste either, but didn't have time to make both types of bread. So after a quick search I decided to try this recipe I found at Brown Eyed Baker. My overall review of the recipe...Thumbs Up! I enjoyed the sweetness of the bananas, without the full on taste of bananas. I didn't have any pecans, so I substituted walnuts. I usually use walnuts in banana bread anyways, so I figured it would be just fine. My only other variance from the recipe, was the time. It said to bake for 50-60 minutes and my loaves were done at 45. The texture and moisture of this bread was great, so I say give it a try. 

Ingredients:

3 cups all-purpose flour
1½ teaspoons baking powder
1½ teaspoons baking soda
1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
4 eggs
2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
2 medium ripe bananas, mashed (about 1 cup)
1½ cups shredded zucchini
1 cup chopped pecans


Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease two 9x5-inch loaf pans and set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; set aside.
3. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs. Add the sugar and oil and whisk until smooth and combined. Whisk in the bananas and mix well. Add the flour mixture and stir gently with a rubber spatula until no flour remains. Fold in the zucchini and pecans.
4. Divide the batter evenly between the two loaf pans. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 50 to 60 minutes. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then remove the bread from the pans and place on wire rack to cool completely before serving. Wrapped tightly in plastic wrap, the bread will keep at room temperature for up to 5 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment