Thursday, October 16, 2014

Christmas From Heaven: The Candy Bomber Story




I was jumping around on YouTube today, watching various things and ended up at the Mormon Tabernacle Choir page watching various Christmas performances. Having one listed with Tom Brokaw caught my attention and I was curious. What I wasn't expecting was a full on cry fest at the end of this segment. Talk about touching and honored to have such a great man represent the United States.

Several things crossed my mind as I was watching and then pondering after the fact. First, my daughter. I knew I had to share this story with her. What a great, fun spirited thing he did. A quote in the video really touches on something I've always tried to instill in my daughter. "From Little Things, Come Big Things". With small deeds and love, people really can change the world.

Next, I realize just how much I have a fondness for Tom Brokaw. I grew up listening to him on the news, as did everyone else, but I really grew a new level of respect for him as an adult, when he authored the book "The Greatest Generation". At the time, I didn't purchase the book, but in the past year or two, I picked a copy up at the thrift store to add to my personal history collection. It's still sitting on the shelf, unread, but has now become a new priority.

When I watched the follow up interview and realized Gail Halvorsen was from Utah, my mind instantly wondered and then assumed he was a Latter Day Saint. Then I recalled that in the movie trailer for Meet The Mormons they said one of the members highlighted was a WWII vet. Sure enough, it was Mr. Halvorsen and they couldn't have picked a greater representation of what it means to be a Mormon.

I hope you enjoy this as much as I did. I warn you, after reading comments, apparently I wasn't the only one who cried during the last 5 minutes.








There are also various books telling the story of the Candy Bomber. Here are a few of those publications.








1 comment:

  1. The Candy Bomber with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and Tom Brokaw is my favorite video of 2014 on YouTube. I'm about to blog about it myself. I can't watch it without sobbing like a huge baby. Such a beautiful, touching tribute done like only the Mormon Tabernacle Choir can!!!

    ReplyDelete